Get Ready With Our 12-Week Marathon Training Guide
If you love to run and have always dreamed of entering a marathon, then you’ve come to the right place! Welcome to your 12 week marathon training plan! Whether you’re running a marathon for the first time or already have a few under your belt, this 12-week training program will prepare you for your next one – and you can customize it to your individual training level. However, you should be able to run 9 miles at a time (and on average between 19 and 20 miles per week) before starting this program.
We developed our marathon training plan with Kara Dudley, who is a running coach and certified personal trainer. In addition to the training plan, our PDF includes her expert training tips, as well as advice on nutrition, recovery, and mental attitude.Download Training Plan PDF
This is how we prepare you for your marathon
Preparation is key! Our marathon plan gives you the instructions and the structure you need to make sure you’re ready for anything on race day and can tackle the 26.2 miles.
- What you’ll need: A tool to measure your running distance and a pair of dumbbells (you may also need a variety of weights to choose from).
- How you’ll train: You’ll train 6 days a week, increasing gradually. Your plan includes easy runs as well as tempo, interval and endurance runs, and you’ll also do strength training once a week. This focuses on muscle groups that are especially important for runners, such as your glutes and core. This will make you faster and minimizes the risk of injury.
- We’ll send you an exercise catalog for reference: You can check our exercise catalog at any time to see how to perform the exercises correctly. All of the exercises in the plan come with an accompanying photo. And you can watch a how-to video with just one click.
- You can customize the training plan: You can choose between beginner, advanced or professional in the weekly overview and adjust the intensity of your training.
- You’ll receive expert tips: We’ll explain what to pay attention to during the exercises. On top of that, we’ll give you the right nutrition tips – from meal timing to the ideal balance of carbohydrates and proteins after your run.
Our expert tip in advance: You’ve picked your training plan and perfected your diet, but you want to step it up a notch to be able to deliver your best performance on the big day? Before your run, our Energy Aminos will give you the kick you need to get you started. After your run, the focus switches to your recovery. Our Recovery Aminos provide you with quick-release carbohydrates and essential amino acids. Let’s recharge!
Your marathon countdown
To boost your motivation and anticipation, we have prepared a marathon countdown calendar for you to print out. You can use it to count down your training days until the big day and get an overview of your entire marathon plan. Just print it out and stick it on your refrigerator. Let’s go!Download Printable Marathon Countdown
foodspring’s running basics:
- Finding the right running shoe: Which shoe’s for you?
- Easy Running Plans to Ensure you Crush your First 30 Minutes, 5K, or 10K
Sources for this article
We at foodspring use only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Read our editorial policy to learn more about how we fact-check and keep our content accurate, reliable, and trustworthy.